Custom Force Sensor Design Process
Strainsert is a leading designer and manufacturer of custom force sensors. Throughout our history, we have developed a proven approach to custom designs which incorporates our “best practices” and results in an optimal measurement solution. Below is an overview of our process.
- Preliminary Design
- Customer Review
- Detailed Design
- Materials Procurement
- Manufacture and Testing
- Application Delivery
- Evaluate force transducer measurement requirements
- Evaluate customer requirements; inspection, test, quality, witnessing and schedule
- Review similar applications, special tools needed, vendor and subcontractor capabilities
This stage entails the customer providing the specifications and requirements to Strainsert and us to evaluate the needs of the customer and plan the series of steps necessary to address those needs best.
- Engineering estimates for materials, tooling and time
- Sales incorporates in-house estimates, vendor/sub-contractor support and in-house commitments
- Generate quotations, pricing and delivery, notations and exceptions
This stage entails Strainsert identifying the scope and cost quotations for the custom design and development of the particular application.
Preliminary Design Stage:
- Material Definition
- Environmental Specifications
- Stress Analysis
- Measurement and Calibration Definition
- Bridge Configuration
- Customer Meetings
This stage entails Strainsert’s preliminary assessment of the application design and coordination of feedback from the customer.
Customer Review Stage:
- Provide drawing package to customer
- Physical geometry and characteristics
- Measurement criteria and specifications
- Strength, material and finish data
- Clarify and finalize every requirement
- Receive final approved design/drawings from customer
This stage entails the customer review of the preliminary design drawings and specifications with a clear final approval process.
Detailed Design Stage:
- Develop detailed part/component manufacturing drawings
- Generate strain gage/wiring schematics
- Develop all assembly and sub-assembly drawings
- Cabling and Clearance
- Define all required bill of materials
- Document detailed manufacturing instructions
- Document required calibration and instrumentation
- Detail special testing/hold points, special processing
This stage entails taking the preliminary design that has been approved by the customer and incorporating the detailed data necessary to initiate manufacturing the application.
Material Procurement Stage:
- Bill of material drives raw material and component procurement
- Utilize approved suppliers for required materials and special processes
- Maintain certifications for all major components
- Receive and inspect materials and certifications
This stage entails Strainsert procuring materials necessary to develop and manufacture, activate suppliers and certify components.
Manufacture and Testing Stage:
- Transducer Build
- Manufacture and route per documented custom instructions
- Complete all required in-house testing, quality information and vendor support
- Transducer Testing
- Perform final deliverable testing and deliverable quality information
- Review and sign-off deliverable component and system testing including all quality deliverables
This stage entails the manufacture, testing and operation of the custom transducer.
Customer Delivery Stage:
- Final transducer and system health check
- Vibration Test
- Bridge Resistance
- Shunt Reading
- Insulation Resistance
- Zero Balance
- Provide equipment, test fixtures, instrumentation and deliverable reports
- Continuing communication and support as required
This stage entails Strainsert delivering the finished product to the customer for installation and maintaining the relationship for continuing support as required.